Tuesday, September 28, 2010

first post: gesture? really?

The problem with starting a blog is wishing you had started it six months ago. Or even six weeks ago. I already feel hopelessly behind.  But this is my start. I have started.

The title. Well, Mary Addison Hackett, a really terrific painter, already has a blog with the word process in it, so I can't use "process" because that would be derivative (or actually, copying) even though I love the idea of process.  Gesture will have to do because gesture has a meaning for both art and psychoanalysis, my two fields of work and interest.


gesture: quick drawing that capture energy and movement of a pose
gestural: vigorous application of paint and expressive brushwork
spontaneous gesture (Donald Winnicott): the baby's true self gesture toward something needed (thanks to Robert Stolorow for this succinct definition)

No comments:

Post a Comment