Wednesday, September 29, 2010

a no good rotten day



Today I made the painful choice to forgo time in the studio in order to take care of some business. I really hope it was worth it. Because now it is dinner time, and I feel... lonely. Which is a surprise. I didn't think that loneliness would be the end result of 8 hours of mind-numbing busy work, but it was, and maybe it shouldn't be a surprise. Painting does many things for me,  serves many purposes, but I have also made the point that the paintings themselves become -- um... well ones to hang around with, studio mates of a sort.  And I missed hanging out with my mates today. I will wait until Friday for my next studio day, and hope nothing will get in the way of that.

pale view of ordinary things, 2010
  

4 comments:

  1. i've totally felt this kind of lonliness before. the hunger to get back in the work. that gorgeous level of focus. at this point, the most i can take off from making things is about 2 days (max) before i really start feeling horribly out of sorts. it's become deeply integrel to my daily life in such amazing, funny, kooky but positive ways.

    friday is just one day away! yay!!! tell your studio mates Hello for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. every morning, before the kids are awake, before the coffee is poured, i visit the paintings. looking, scrutinizing, anticipating, aching, imagining. today i have a large blank canvas out. i will walk back and forth in front of it for a week, after the first mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also get that frantic feeling when I am out of the studio. and I'm happy to be report that I spent a fair amount of time there friday and saturday, and also sunday, so I do feel better. sometimes I'm not making great strides, it's just being there, as you say Helen, walking around. actually I'm excavating- which i will post soon!

    thanks for reading and commenting

    ReplyDelete